Welcome to Chief Okemos Sportsman’s Club!
COSC is a family-friendly gun and archery club in Dimondale, Michigan, located about 15 minutes west of Lansing.
To promote the safe and responsible use of firearms and archery activities in the Mid-Michigan area
I give my pledge as an American to save and faithfully defend from waste the natural resources of my country, its air, soil, and materials, its forests, waters and wildlife.
- Please see the club newsletter on this site for our March news, and don’t forget to check out the President’s Notes and club history updates, too.
- Due to an illness, the March newsletter is a little late getting to the printer.
- This may effect when the gate code will change.
- For the first few days of March, if the new gate code does not work please try the old one.
- March 7 at 1:00 p.m. will be the next meeting for the 2015 classes. All instructors who are looking for classes to tech this year at the club should please attend. This year we have 6 Basic Pistol classes and 6 Personal Protection in the Home classes already scheduled. Some of the new classes we need to schedule are Personal Protection Outside the Home and Defensive Shotgun Courses. We also have about 10 new instructors that have received their new training this year and need to be in the rotation. I would also like to have RSOs for range work with our classes this year. If you would like to help, please come to this meeting. If there are any questions, please contact Duane Whaley at 517.646.1611.
- The next Turkey Shoot will be on March 14th at Noon. We will be serving chili with corn bread for lunch. All you need to shoot our turkey shoot is a shogun and two boxes of shells, so please come join us in the fun. Prizes consists of turkey, bacon, venison sticks, chicken breasts, and more. For more info, please contact Duane Whaley at 517.646.1611.
- Camp Dinner will be on Saturday, March 28th. Please contact Bill Shepard at email@example.com or call him at 810-207-3022 (please leave a message) or see him at the General Membership or Board Meetings to arrange to donate your wild game. Cathy Finn is our Chairperson for the committee, so please contact her at 517.974.6178 or firstname.lastname@example.org to volunteer for this event.
- Raffle – The raffle has gotten off to a roaring start thanks to the help of all of the members who sold tickets at the Deer and Turkey Expo and the Mason Gun Show in February. At this point we have sold about $5,000 worth of tickets, which means we have covered all of our expenses and are now making money for your club. Here are some things you can do to help in the raffle effort:
- Your should have received your letter and tickets from the Raffle Committee in the mail. Please sell/buy these tickets and get the stubs and money back to us. If you need more tickets, please see Bill Shepard or Pat Cavanaugh.
- Return those tickets, sooner rather than later. The first seller’s prize will be given away at the membership meeting on March 9 at the end of the meeting. You do not need to be present to win, but you do need to have returned your sold ticket stubs and money to be eligible for a seller’s prize. March’s prize is 500 rounds of Winchester .22LR in a nice wooden collector’s box. For every $20 in ticket stubs you turn in, you get one chance at the seller’s prize.
The raffle is a big source of funds for your club. Please help support your club so it can keep providing you with quality programs. Thanks!
- Juniors Shooting Programs will be starting up soon. Take a look at our 2015 flyer for some more info.
- ASA Qualifier will be held at COSC on April 11 & April 12. Visit the Archery page for more information.
- NRA Range Safety Course will be May 3rd. The cost is $75 for club members and $125 for non-members. It will run from 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. Students are responsible for their NRA registration charges. For further details and information, they need to contact Jim Ingison at email@example.com. Payment must be received by April 10 in order to obtain RSO student training material from the NRA.
Some ways you can earn volunteer hours. Please help make your club a better place.
- The Camp Dinner will be held on 03/28/15. Please contact Bill Shepard or see him at the Membership or Board Meetings to arrange to donate your wild game for the meal. Cathy L. Finn is Chairperson for the committee and she can be contacted at 517.974.6178.
- Tim could use some help with Junior Archery. Call him at 643.1497.
- The Wheezers & Geezers are looking for cooks. They meet every Thursday morning at 8:00 a.m.
- Help is needed on Sunday, March 29 at 9:00 .m. to set up 3D targets and open the archery range.